Norm Kroger’s The Operational Art of War III has just had a makeover, with the release of Patch 3.4 available from Matrix Games. The game is quite old, but with this “landmark” update, its meant to breathe a new lease of life into the old wargaming engine.
Here’s the official patter/sales pitch on the contents of the patch:
New rules, improved graphics, sharper AI and plenty more coming in this massive update
Matrix Games and the TOAD Team are thrilled to announce that a new mega-update for The Operational Art of War III is now available. The comprehensive 220.127.116.11 update comes with pages upon pages of improvements, new features, and fixes. Here is just a small overview of the many improvements found in the update:
- New turn order rules to equalize the sequence of events and phases for both players. The original turn structure is still available as well.
- A brand new and improved supply system that is much more detailed and realistic than the old system. The original supply system is still available as well.
- New rules to address gamey “ant unit” tactics such as a new system called the Assault Ratio which makes the Attacker Assault Strength value much more realistic.
- Over 50 new community-created scenarios.
- Almost a dozen significant changes to the combat model.
- 40 user interface improvements and optimizations.
- Several graphical enhancements including alternate place name fonts and bitmaps that will scale with zoom level.
- Improved customization and editor functionality – now XML files can be used wherever DLL files are used and more graphical mods are now supported.
- Improved AI.
- More and improved language support.
- Better cheat prevention.
- Many bug fixes.
- Plenty more!
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “This update includes so many significant and exciting improvements to The Operational Art of War III, it’s practically a new release! The TOAD team has put so much extra detail and shine into this classic wargame with this update that there’s never been a better time to jump on board and try your hand at the premiere simulation of operational warfare! ”
Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War is a legendary title among wargamers. A masterpiece of flexible design, it allows you to play and create any battle from the entire 20th Century of warfare and up to the modern day. Now, Matrix Games together with Norm Koger and a new design team bring you the definitive release of this unsurpassed operational wargame – The Operational Art of War III.
The Operational Art of War III sets a new benchmark in operational wargaming. Step up to the challenge – Master the Art of War!